Sam here. Mom dropped the ball by not posting further Doglish posts. I got on her this weekend about it
while we were shivering in the latest blast of Winter and she said I could do one. Yippee! Here’s a chart I recently saw that explains some of our facial expressions and what they mean to humans.
Here’s what each of them mean to me:
- Dog looking straight at upright with ears up and tongue out. I think it must be Tongue Tuesday.
- Eyes open, bright, unblinking. I really, really would like a piece of your cheese.
- Ears perked up, whites of eyes showing. You mean, I’m not getting a piece of your cheese?
- Rising bark. Woof, woof…that’s a mighty fine-looking piece of cheese!
- Howling. I do. not. howl. so clearly this is imaginary on mom’s part aside from being completely undignified for a poodle of my stature. Don’t even begin to accuse me of howling. It’s totally beneath me. Uprights may snore but poodles never howl.
- Low growling. This is the expression I assume when mom tells me not to bark at the
serial killermail lady. Well…she only said to stop barking, there was nothing said about using an indoor voice! And as soon as the door opens and he mail lady hands us our mail, I’m very happy and relieved to see that it is my friend Corrie, who loves me loads and gives great ear scratches. I don’t think that uniform does her any favors; it seems to camouflage her kind face and that mail bag hides those perfect ear scratching hands.
we’ll I’ll cover dog postures. So what does your pup’s facial expressions communicate with you? Are your pup’s interpretations like mine?
Live, love, bark! ❤