- Sam is still recovering from the weekend’s hospital duties but I found some fun and interesting factoids for the latest edition of Tuesday Trivia.
- Male dogs urinate with one leg up to better mark their territory. The scent shares many aspects about the sprayer, i.e. size and health. The higher a dog pees up a proverbial tree, greater judgment is considered regarding the size of that dog. It should be noted however, that male dogs do not need to lift their leg in order to pee. Yeah, well tell that to Sam. He would no doubt beg to disagree.
- A dog’s ear is full of sensory nerves that help preserve its hearing. You should never blow into a dog’s ear even gently as it can hurt. It’s not the actual act of wind but the frequency at which you blow. Kind of like running your fingernail down a chalkboard, only amplified hundreds of times.
- Dogs evolved from a creature similar to a wolf, “Tomarctus” (meaning father of dogs) which roamed earth 15,000 years ago. They were domesticated by cavemen. Greeks used dogs for hunting and as guards. Romans traveled through Europe and brought their dogs with them and they bred with local dogs and gradually created many different breeds.
- There are 701 types of purebred dogs divided into 6 groups: toys, hounds, herding, sporting, non-sporting, and working.
- Most domesticated dogs are capable of reaching speeds of approximately 19.88 mph (32 km) when running full-out. Greyhounds can reach speeds up to nearly 43 1/2 mph (70 km).
- The name “Fido” comes from Latin and means ‘fidelity.’
- The U.S. has the highest dog population in the world.
- Dogs are mentioned 14 times in the bible. And finally…
- People who own pets live longer, have less stress, and fewer heart attacks (unless they’re trying to navigate a set of stairs where the dog thinks he must race down them at lightning speed). Till next time, do you know any tantalizing trivia?
Live, love, bark! ❤